Effective Ways to Improve Curb Appeal Without Breaking Your Budget
What is ‘curb appeal’? By definition it is the attractiveness of your home when viewed from the street. It is also the first impression potential buyers will have of your home. Things like well maintained landscaping, fresh paint and a clutter-free yard can increase the value of your home. Conversely, poorly maintained exteriors can decrease your home's value by up to 10%!
If you’re in the process of selling your home, the last thing you probably want to do is spend your time and money on landscaping or full-scale renovations. Luckily there are a number of ways you can improve your curb appeal that are both time and cost effective.
- Create a welcoming entrance with a freshly painted front door, a welcome mat and some well maintained potted plants.
- Wash both inside and outside of your front windows as well as ensure you don’t have any clutter on the window sill that can be seen from the outside. This also goes for your window coverings.
- In addition to mowing the lawn, you can do some light pruning of trees and shrubs. Also consider weeding any garden beds.
- If you’ve got one, use a power washer to clean the walkways and driveway. If not, a nice good sweep of the walkways will do. A good cleaning can make them look almost new.
- You may be showing your home in the evening so make sure all lightbulbs are working and that light fixtures are clean.
Paying attention to these few important details will undoubtedly lead to a positive first impression of your home!